PeriscapeVR, the first Virtual Reality (VR) Experience Center of its kind to launch in an airport, recently arrived in Terminal 4 at John F. Kennedy International Airport – one of the world’s most active air terminals. Featuring curated virtual reality, the 6-month pop-up will provide more than 70,000 daily passengers with immersive entertainment experiences to enjoy while traveling. PeriscapeVR offers incredible virtual and mixed reality experiences in an easy-to-use, luxurious design that is approachable for the VR curious, adventurous and experienced users.
Combining expertise in luxury, tech, retail and curated with original content, PeriscapeVR’s Experience Center is located in Terminal 4’s Retail Lounge and features freestanding VR Towers with 12 stations designed specifically with travelers’ security, awareness and outstanding customer experience in mind. With pricing ranging from $1 – $2 per minute and experiences averaging approximately 5 – 10 minutes each, the experience center is a scalable installation that brings a luxurious and accessible entertainment option to mass audiences in high-profile locations anywhere.
The widely appealing experiences are grouped into five distinct content categories: “First Time”; “Experience”; “Create”; “Play”; and “Social Cause” and feature exclusive, best-of-class content from some of the most respected brands in virtual reality. The experiences have been carefully curated to appeal to a wide variety of air travelers and will instantly transport them to exotic destinations, and allow them to draw and create in 3D, personify a famous musician, play incredibly fun games and more.
- First Time: theBlu: Whale Encounter, Reef Migration and Luminous Abyss – An undersea encounter with the largest species on earth, witness the magnificence of an undersea migration on the edge of a coral reef, venture into the deepest region of the ocean to discover the iridescent abyss.
- Experience: Irrational Exuberance – Journey to imaginary worlds as a lone explorer in deep space. Transport to beautiful, mysterious and incredible worlds. Discover and interact with deep space phenomena with worlds of wildly different sensations, interactions, and impossible vistas.
- Create: MasterpieceVR: Shape your Creativity – Build tangible objects, colorful environments, and high-quality 3D models with VR’s most powerful sculpting & painting tool
- Play: Fruit Ninja and AudioShield – Fruit Ninja VR takes squishy, satisfying gameplay and turns it into a virtual reality experience that can be enjoyed by players of all ages and skill levels. Step into the Fruit Ninja universe and tackle fruit from all angles – slice, juggle, and skewer fruit in virtual reality – just don’t hit the bombs. AudioShield brings musical favorites to life, putting participants at the point of impact of every beat in a song. Surf and interact with music in a new, physical way, using shields to block incoming orbs.
- Social Cause: Notes on Blindness: Into Darkness – A magical and mesmerizing VR journey into the foreign land of the sightless. Based on John Hull’s sensory and psychological experience of blindness, the interactive experience uses binaural audio and real-time 3D animations to create a fully immersive journey through a “world beyond sight.”
Paradies Lagardère, Terminal 4’s travel retail group has partnered with PeriscapeVR to be the first airport retail group to offer virtual reality location-based entertainment. In an environment as dynamic as an airport, it is vital that the design has the ability to adapt to conditions that can shift significantly at a moment’s notice. The design for the VR centers by Gensler Architects places an emphasis on ease of use and flexibility to adapt to various environments, core components of its luxury design.
The terminal’s expansive Retail Lounge offers more than 122,200 square-feet devoted to shopping and dining – featuring 48 retail shops and 27 restaurants – including chic, upscale boutiques, convenience and gift stores, world-class eateries, well-known casual dining, healthy options and food-to-go. PeriscapeVR now brings a first-of-its-kind entertainment option to the terminal in John F. Kennedy International Airport, providing travelers with an alternative recreation outlet to the existing retail and dining spaces.