International Coalition to Fast Track Climate Action Across the Caribbean
On August 9, 2018, a ground-breaking partnership to support the Caribbean’s goal to become the world’s first “climate-smart zone” was launched in Kingston, Jamaica. A total of 26 countries and 40-plus private- sector partners created the coalition to fast track climate action across the Caribbean.
The following are highlights of the Caribbean Climate-Smart Accelerator:
- Prime Minister of Jamaica, The Most Honorable Andrew Holness, President of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), Luis Alberto Moreno, Virgin Group Founder Sir Richard Branson and World Bank Vice President for Latin America and the Caribbean, Jorge Familiar announced details of the Caribbean Climate-Smart Accelerator.
- The Accelerator’s ambitious goal is to work with this unprecedented group of partners to make the Caribbean the world’s first climate-smart zone.
- The Coalition behind the Accelerator has grown to 26 countries covering a region of 1 million square miles and more than 40 million people.
- Eight-time Olympic Gold Medal Winner Usain Bolt, an Ambassador of the Accelerator, announced the Caribbean Accelerator’s $50,000 “Speed Award,” recognizing leading countries, businesses and individuals working toward a climate smart zone.
- The Inter-American Development Bank announced that it will partner with the Accelerator to program and implement the $1 billion in funds that it pledged at President Macron’s Paris One Planet summit.
- Global music superstar Sean Paul was announced with Bolt as Accelerator Ambassadors. They will be promoting the Accelerator’s call for climate-smart action in the region and globally.
Leaders, Businesses and Superstars Forming Collaborative Partnerships to Tackle Global Issues
Are you a leader, business owner or superstar involved in action-oriented partnerships addressing worldwide concerns? To share your story on Artsphoria: Arts, Business & Technology Center, email details to email@example.com.